I dunno about that.  The greater the magnification, the greater
your framing and focus will drift when hand-holding.  If you
keep the flash in the camera hotshoe, you're gonna have a point
source of light.  Without downward tilt (like the AF280T has),
you can loose most of the light and get a shadow from your lens
hood.  I think macros are easier with tripods, providing the
subject isn't moving.

Don Sanderson wrote:
I just read an article saying that flash was the best way to shoot macro
shots.
It cited the fact that both faster shutter speed to prevent blur and smaller
aperture for added DOF could be used.
I have several Pentax TTL units to try this out with.
Have any of you tried this? What setup did you use ? Did you LIKE the
results?
I'd always imagined the light would be too harsh to look "natural".

Don