On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:04:36 -0500, Don Sanderson wrote:

>I just read an article saying that flash was the best way to shoot macro
>shots.
>It cited the fact that both faster shutter speed to prevent blur and smaller
>aperture for added DOF could be used.
>I have several Pentax TTL units to try this out with.
>Have any of you tried this? What setup did you use ? Did you LIKE the
>results?
>I'd always imagined the light would be too harsh to look "natural".

Don,

I've tried a few setups.  My major problems is usually reflections off
glass or water as I'm usually photographing invertebrates which live in
water.  I also can't use natural light as most of them hide from light
and so I need to keep it dim to have them display themselves correctly.

A ring flash works well at eliminating shadows.  For me, unless I was
really close I would get reflections as there is light coming from
everywhere.  You get donut shaped highlights in the eyes and any other
reflective surfaces.  I used an AF080c.

A single flash very close will give a soft box effect as someone has
already mentioned.  At a greater distance it does get harsh.  I used a
Sigma EF360 off camera.

A two flash setup works well and gives a very natural effect if the
background helps hide the double shadow.  Having the light come from 2
different angles helps with this.  You end up with 2 highlights in the
eyes and other reflective surfaces, but people have become used to
this.  If you have a calendar with pictures of frogs in it you will
find double flash highlights in most of the eyes.  I have used several
setups. Sigma EF360 and Pentax AF400FTZ.  A modified AF240FT with 2nd
head attached.  Two AF360FTZ's wireless, via cables and one on a cable
and one not.  And a modified AF360FGZ with second head attached.

Finally I've used a 3 flash setup using three AF360FGZ's.  Only use
this in a studio and only if you want fancy lighting or need lots of
light.  I think I was going for 10 times magnification to the image
plain with the aperture stopped down as far as it would go.

I've used the SuperA, Z1p, MZ-S and *istD for macro work over the
years.  The unfortunate thing is that my website needs updating and I
have 7000 odd images to go through and no time to do it.

Hope this helps.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon