Hello Tom,

slowing down and thinking through the shot is a good thing to do.  But
it doesn't require medium format to do it.  Why are you using AF now? (at least
by your post, it sounds like you are)  I only use AF in rare instances
no matter what body I shoot with.  Fully controlling your shots is a
good thing, but can be done in 35mm just as well as 67 or 4X5.
Shooting an MX is just about the same experience as shooting a 67
(I've done both).

--
Best regards,
Bruce