Hello Billy,

My experience over the years has not been that great.  Fast,
inexpensive labs have problems with squeegee scratching, chemical
deposits, bad chemistry and cutting negs poorly.  I have tons of
examples of all the above.

Just hang around and watch the staff handling of film for awhile and
get sick to your stomach as they handle the film with bare hands
putting finger marks on the emulsion side or dropping the film onto
the floor to get scratched or watch them slice through portions of
your negatives when rushing to get the orders done.

Better labs will treat your film with more care and respect.  If you
just have develop only and no prints made, you may find the cost
difference per roll quite small between a good lab and a poor lab.
The best way to pick is to watch their film handling for awhile to see
how well the film gets treated.

--
Best regards,
Bruce