Many folks seem to have had bad luck with their film processing.  In over 25
years of shooting with an SLR (Pentax since 1980), I don't think I've had
more than 1% of my pictures messed up by a lab.  I've found labs that gave
consistently bad results (greenish color cast at one, dust spots at
another), so I stopped using those ones.  For many years, I used Qalex for
my everyday 4x6s, then last year I kept getting unuseably contrasty prints.

Now I use London Drugs (only found in western Canada) for my everyday pix,
and I'm fairly pleased nearly all the time.  They print on Fuji Crystal
Archive, and the prints are ready within hours.  For enlargements, the local
pro labs give good results, and aren't that expensive.

Some of my photographically casual friends ask why I don't use Wal-Mart or
Costco for processing, since it's cheaper.  They seem to find the quality
acceptable.  Perhaps they actually are the voice of the masses.  Sometimes
they can see the difference when I point it out, but often they don't care.
So many people just want to see a tiny image on the LCD screen of their
digicam, or just email their happy snaps to their friends.  They don't seem
to care about prints anymore.  That may be the real cause for the decline in
film use.

All the same, there's usually a line-up at London Drugs, and I sometimes see
folks bringing in half-a-dozen or more 35mm films at a time.  At least here
in Victoria, film is still alive and well.

My 2001 MZ-S, my constant companion, is loaded with 2004 film, and in 2010,
when today's digital wonders are considered laughably obsolete, I'll be
using it with the amazing new 2010 films.  Am I in denial, living in a dream
world?  I sure hope not!

Pat White