After a long hiatus from the darkroom and doing my own film processing -
shooting more color than B&W, scanning and using labs more than printing -
I'm returning to what has given me the greatest satisfaction and creative
control. Last evening I began setting things up to start processing B&W
film again, and later on I'll finish straightening up the darkroom. For too
long I've concentrated on scanning negs, working with color film, and
playing with digital. It was a good experience, and I learned a lot, most
of all that I like B&W. I like the control of processing my own negs, the
joy of seeing the results of MY skill and handiwork, and the superior
quality of a silver B&W print on fiber (heck, even some RC) paper.

I'm not giving up on the other aspects of photography - color will now have
a place, as will scanning and digital output - but I feel I must make room
for more B&W. There are still, - and I believe there will be for quite a
long while - quite a few B&W emulsions available in many different sizes,
including those long discontinued sizes like 127 and 620.
http://www.efkefilm.com/ is an example.

I just can't completely get around the idea of shooting color and
"converting" the results to B&W as has been done by many people lately.  It
just ain't the same.  The tonality is different, the grain patterns are,
well, nonexistant, and the printing process that many use (from scanner to
the Lightjet or Frontier to be printed on Crystal Archive or some such
similar paper) seems to be the lazy and roundabout way to get a print which
is far from the quality and the look of a true B&W silver print.  Likewise,
the limited range of choices and creativity that's available with the use
of chromogenic B&W emulsions. The more I used them the more they were found
lacking on many levels.

Over the last couple of years I've tried to accept the mediocre results
from the new technologies, and while there is some nice work being done
there are too many layers between the photographer's - this photographer's
- vision and the final print.  Too many zeros and ones between the initial
vision and the final print.  Too many flashing diodes and glowing LCD
screens, too much reliance on histograms to determine what is the correct
exposure.

The histogram shall be the bane of photography, for reliance on it detracts
from the flow of photography.  Make an exposure, check the histogram.  If
the histogram doesn't look right, make another exposure, repeat as
necessary.  meanwhile, with each repetition of the cycle the subject
changes, the light changes, a cloud moves, something small and subtle
enters or leaves the scene, a fleeting expression is lost.  Technology
leaves a cold and souless result, immediacy is lost.  A photographer should
KNOW how to make an accurate exposure for any given scene.  One must
understand light, not how a light meter, works, and a histogram is little
more than an overly complicated light meter, showing you what you did after
the fact, not helping you beforehand.

Someone in an earlier thread likened many current photographers as camera
operators, and I felt myself coming to that same conclusion about my work.
I point, I shoot, and give the balance of the creative process over to
someone else, to some further technology, to some expensive machine, make
the final interpretation.  More and more the control and creativity moved
from my vision and my hands to someone else's, to a machine in a dark part
of a lab, where the "magic" occurs.  Unfortunately, that magic all to often
was a trick created and played by another magician, one with a different
sensibility and a different audience.

Just a final thought: as photographers it's your show.  You create the
score and the performance.

Shel Belinkoff