Not only that, but there is sofware than can and does compensate for this. Take a look at the software I mentioned before, PTAssembler. It is a user friendly interface on top of another tool that does the real stitching and distortion compensation.

rg

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Munro"
Subject: RE: Large Format vs. Digital/Stitching

The section which states, "... the shooting technique results in a
"plane of focus" of a sphere instead of a plane."" baffles me - how

can

there be a spherical plane of focus of a plane?  I assume the plane
being talked about is a two-dimensional film plane, am I mistaken?

When you rotate the camera and lens, the plane of focus follows that
curve, hence becoming spherical.
Semi spherical, I suppose, since you will only have so much of the
sphere in the picture (unless you do 360° panoramics).
Technically speaking, the plane of focus will be a mess, since most
lenses aren't flat field anyway, so what you will have is a semi
spherical plane of focus, broken down into a number of curved field
focus planes.
By stopping down to normal shooting apertures though, this becomes
irrelevant, since any focus wonks will fall within depth of field.
Add to that, there is no reason why each individual image cannot be
refocussed (they should stay in scale, close enough for landscapes,
anyway), thereby negating any focus problems that may, theroetically,
crop up.

Photograph
William Robby is about taking pictures, and doing a little
experimentation to see what works. I've had more than a few
discussions about things that I know damn well will work, because I
have done it, with theoretical photographers who won't take a picture
because it is technically unfeasable.

William Robb