Hi,

Sunday, November 21, 2004, 4:56:21 PM, Keith wrote:

> I've been sorely tempted to say, "Who cares!"
> But since so many seem to, I've changed my question to, "For Pete's
> sake, why does it matter?"
> Might as well argue the mechanical differences between traditional flat
> vs. round toothpicks.

"...the two great Empires of Lilliput and Blefuscu. Which two mighty Powers
have, as I was going to tell you, been engaged in a most obstinate War for six
and thirty Moons past. It began upon the following Occasion. It is allowed on
all Hands, that the primitive way of breaking Eggs, before we eat them, was upon
the larger End: But his present Majesty's Grand-father, while he was a Boy,
going
to eat an Egg, and breaking it according to the ancient Practice, happened to
cut
one of his Fingers. Whereupon the Emperor his Father published an Edict,
commanding
all his Subjects, upon great Penaltys, to break the smaller End of their Eggs.
The
People so highly resented this Law, that our Histories tell us there have been
six
Rebellions raised on that account; wherein one Emperor lost his Life, and
another his
Crown. These civil Commotions were constantly fomented by the Monarchs of
Blefuscu;
and when they were quelled, the Exiles always fled for Refuge to that Empire.
It is
computed, that eleven thousand Persons have, at several times, suffered Death,
rather
than submit to break their Eggs at the smaller End. Many hundred large Volumes
have been
published upon this Controversy: But the books of the Big-Endians have been
long forbidden,
and the whole Party rendered incapable by Law of holding Employments. During
the Course of
these Troubles, the Emperors of Blefuscu did frequently expostulate by their
Ambassadors,
accusing us of making a Schism in Religion, by offending against a fundamental
Doctrine of
our great Prophet Lustrog, in the fifty-fourth Chapter of the Brundrecal (which
is their
Alcoran.) This, however, is thought to be a meer Strain upon the Text: For the
Words are these:
That all true Believers shall break their Eggs at the convenient End: and which
is the convenient
End, seems, in my humble Opinion, to be left to every Man's Conscience, or at
least in the power
of the Chief Magistrate to determine."

Daniel Defoe "Gulliver's Travels"

--