Can we just call it what it is - stealing. If I make something I am entitled to charge whatever I want. You, on the other hand, are entitled not to buy it. It is not a function of what time and money went into the creation of the object. It is a function of what I want to charge for it.

If Fred Pollack spent thousands of dollars and weeks creating a miniature painting and decides he wants $500 for it, that's fine. The marketplace will decide whether it's over-priced. If his cousin Jackson spends 1/10 the time and money and yet wants 100 times that for his effort, the marketplace again will decide. Fred may not sell his work, while Jackson might sell all he cares to create. There is no problem here.

To say the producer is charging too much for a product, therefore I am entitled to steal, it is simply rationalization for why you want to steal for your own gratification. To say that no one is getting hurt when you copy software and use it without buying a license is also rationalization for ripping off someone. Just because the act of theft is easy, doesn't make it morally or legally right.

You guys have hit one of my hot buttons. Thirty years of creating software will make you aware of just what goes into a product like Photoshop CS. That plus working at a company that was charging well over $1,000,000 for for a license to its (mainly my) software and yet was using bootleg copies of WordPerfect and lifting lines of code from its competitor's product has made me very sensitive to this issue.

Just because you want something, doesn't mean you're entitled to have it.

Larry in Dallas

---