Fuji pioneered the "advance to the final frame" concept in its
point-and-shoots, I believe in the early 80s. Some pro-level SLRs (Contax,
possibly others) now let you choose whether the frame counter should "count
up" or "count down," roll by roll.

I agree with Ayesh: Keeping the exposed images safely protected makes so
much sense, camera makers whose cameras don't offer the feature--at least
as a choice--have some explaining to do. One can only imagine what
priceless photos the world has lost because a camera back was prematurely
opened.

 Ayash Kanto Mukherjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A month back, Canon EOS 300 came in my hand and I noticed that it advanced
the film to the last frame with the closure of camera back. ... if the
camera
back is opened by accident, the exposed part goes inside the film
cartridge and it is the unexposed part which gets spoiled. So, if you have
taken a few
shots with lot of hardwork and thinking, it remains safe inside the
cartridge.