Ayash Kanto Mukherjee wrote:
>In all the MZ/ZX series cameras that PENTAX has manufactured, the
>autoloading facility advances the film to frame1 as soon as the camera
>back is closed. There are two disadvantages with this system.
>1. You loose two to three frames. I have always noticed that.
>2. If by accident the camera back is opened, the exposed part of the film
>   gets spoiled completely.
>A month back, Canon EOS 300 came in my hand and I noticed that it advanced
>the film to the last frame with the closure of camera back. Thus you
>always sqeeze atleast two to three more shots. Secondly, if the camera
>back is opened by accident, the exposed part goes inside the film
>cartridge and it
>is the unexposed part which gets spoiled.

        My PZ-1p, 37, occasionally 38.  Wife's Canon, always 36 (they seem to have
designed the film transport to do that on purpose).  My manual load cameras,
36-37 full frames and some partials.
        I can see the advantage of Canon's solution, and would prefer it as it
saves the pictuers I've already taken.  However, I solved the problem by
learning how to check for film in the cameras and training myself to always
check before opening.  Haven't had the problem in years.
        However, if that is such a problem, then why hasn't some company designed
an interlock to prevent the camera back from being opened when there is film
in it?

>I wonder why PENTAX has not considered this part of camera design.

        Perhaps patent infringement?

>Recently, I was using KODAK MAX 400 (the old package), and I got 35
>exposures only though it is expected to allow atleast 36 exposures. It
>happened twice with me.

        Sounds like you pulled out too much film while loading.  I used to do that
sometimes while I was learning to use my K-1000 or having a fit loading it.