Frank,

I'm not suggesting that you should give up contact sheets, but you can make
contacts and galleries that enable you to see your work very nicely on the
computer screen, and since the images may be larger than the little images
on a contact sheet, they may actually be more useful in some ways.
Photoshop allows you to do make these contacts and galleries with just a
couple of mouse clicks.  Lately I've been making galleries that I can
scroll through allowing me to examine an entire roll of pics as 4x6 or 5x7
sized images.  Very nice ;-))  Of course, one needs a little hard drive
space.

Shel