I first viewed this image on my i-book, and it looked quite good. I like the fact that it's somewhat high contrast and a bit on the dark side, because it draws attention to the principal characters. As far as the people in the background are concerned, you certainly can't expect to see much detail since they are out of focus due to depth of field. To expect to see detail in the purse on the far left background or in the dress on the far right background is not realistic, although both of these elements are clearly defined against the rest of the background.. I look at Frank's images as flatbed scans of prints. They're a representation of the print rather than perfected internet images. I must admit that if it were my image I would have worked it in shadows/highlights a bit and re-evaluated it after that step. Yet it's by no means a disaster in grayscale. The paper plate shows shadow below the rim. The little girl's face is nice detailed in its balance of shadow and highlight. The tones range from almost pure white to almost pure black, with plenty of variations in between. That's an acceptable range by any measure. My monitor is, of course, operating at 1.8 gamma. i think that anyone who is working with photographs should be at 1.8. At 2.2, the photo is way off. But 2.2 is for video games, not photography. All of the stock houses I've worked with insist that photos display correctly at 1.8 gamma., because most purchasers of stock are working at 1.8. That's generally the standard for photography. At 1.8, Frank's photo is quite satisfactory.