A few things about storing stuff in cars in summer.
Learned from experience with 'meltable' and 'leakable'
stuff.
As a technician I carry lubricants, tape, CDs, floppies,
squeeze bottles full of solvents, etc.

1.) The coolest place in a car is under the seat or on the floor,
out of the sun, covered heavily with a towel or blanket or in a
cooler such as Graywolf suggested, this will keep stuff at floor-
board tempeture. Reach 'under' the car and feel the metal, cool.
The lower the better, since heat rises, as you all know.
(Actually a 'bottomless' cooler might be even better, I'll have
to try that.)

2.) The hottest places are the dashboard, rear shelf or trunk of
a dark colored car. Unless you lay it directly on the floor of
the trunk and insulate it as above.

3.) Leaving the windows open even 1/4 inch (6-7mm) helps a lot.
Unfortunately it also lowers security a lot on some cars.

4.) Most importantly, there is *NO* place cool enough to store
Snickers or Milky Way candy bars in a car in summer. :-(

Don