Agreed, really ... it's a matter of being appropriate rather than arbitrary
or  flying on auto pilot.  For example, if the salient info that you're
quoting is just a sentence or two, replying with bottom posting may be the
better choice.  If the quoted message or text is long, and especially if
the reply is succinct, top posting pay be a better option.  Having to
scroll through a long series of messages or text only to get to the bottom
to find the reply to be  <LOL> is sometimes annoying or frustrating.  And
interspersed certainly can be a preference.

So, let's think about how we post.

Better?  ;-))

Shel