> From: "Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/09/26 Mon AM 02:02:51 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: RE: anybody still shoot film?

> Theoretically yes, practically no. Unless like others have said you can
> afford
> to buy a 12000 dpi drum scanner or alternately afford to pay ~US$50 per scan
> for the privilege. And then it wouldn't be usable unless all
> colour/level/gamma
> adjustment could be perfected at the point of capture.

This is what I find paradoxical about the whole "digital revolution".  On one
hand, there are statements like the above - 12,000dpi to extract anything like
the full information from a 35mm frame.  On the other, there are the "6mp is
enough" brigade.  I know they are not exclusive.

> Back to the practicality of the issue: suppose some D3200 were shot at and
> processed to yield 1600ISO or higher then scanned at sufficient resolution to
> reveal individual grains (2000dpi+). The resultant image will look and behave
> like a lithograph. IOW no grey-scale adjustment/correction can be
> accomplished
> on such an image until the individually rendered grains are integrated to
> form
> an apparent grey-scale image.

That I understand.  Is the ISO scale linear wrt grain size?  If so, I assume
that to get the same effect from a 25ISO frame you will need to scan at
128,000dpi.

mike

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software