On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:52:53PM +1100, Leon Altoff wrote:

> Someone I know had a different experience.
>
> He was driving along and though he might like to buy a convertible (he
> does this).  He stopped at a Honda dealership and asked to test drive
> their convertible.  He was dressed very casually at the time - shorts,
> polo shirt, $2000 watch - and the salesman replied with "You can drive
> it when you've bought it".
>
> He just shook his head and went away.  On his way home he passed a Mazda
> dealership and saw a limited edition MX5 on display.  They said that the
> limited edition wasn't for test driving, but he could take the standard
> model which drives the same so he could get a feel for it.  he came back
> from the test drive and pointed at the limited edition and said, "I'll
> have one of those".
>
> The salesman asked him to come inside to fill in the finance forms and
> he just handed him his credit card and said "Just put it on this".
>
> The salesman looked a bit shocked when he went in but was smiling when
> he came out and said that the car would be ready on Wednesday.

I don't think you're allowed to do that over here.  Or, at least, not
with a true credit card - I don't know if you can charge a car to American
Express, but I doubt it.  Not because of credit limits - the credit line on
my Visa is high enough to buy a Porsche 911, never mind a Honda or Mazda -
but there's some other reaon that prevents most car dealerships from
taking credit for anything except a place-holder deposit.  You're not
supposed to make the down payment with a credit card, either, but
that's because most finance agreements explicitly prohibit you from
using credit for the deposit - not an issue if you're not financing.

He's missing something if he took the MX5 over the Honda 2000, though.
The Honda is a much nicer car.  As it should be, considering the fact
that it's priced at least 50% higher than the MX5.