On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:53:28PM -0500, Kenneth Waller wrote:
> >I really despair of salesmen.
>
> Normally I do also.
>
> My $.02 on the matter. <rather long>
>
> Last year I got a post card from Porsche U.S HQ, in Atlanta, inviting me to
> drop by my nearest Porsche dealer to sample their latest offering.

[snip, snip, snip]

> I was so impressed with his handling of this matter that I gave him a
> bottle of wine at delivery of the car in appreciation.

Porsche seem to attract the good guys.

I stopped back by the BMW dealership earlier this evening, and chatted
for a while to one of their senior salesmen about the Z4, and what the
new 2006 version was going to offer.  We discussed the various options,
and he pretty much agreed with me about what would be a nice used Z4
configuration.   Then I dropped the bombshell that I'd been told, by
their internet and used sales consultant, that configuration wasn't a
good idea, and that I really didn't appreciate being treated that way :-)
I fully expect I'll hear if a Z4 configured the way I want one shows up
as a trade-in on the new 2006 models.

I also stopped by the Porsche dealership (which is quite close by),
and had a look at the pre-owned Boxsters on the lot.  Then, just as
I was about to leave, I just had to step inside the showroom and take
a look at the nice toy they had sitting at the front of the display -
a Carrerra GT (price somewhere around $500,000 - if you have to ask ...)
I had a very nice little chat with one of their salesmen, discussing
older Porsches (the only ones I've driven are the 944T and the 928).
He assured me that he's be only too happy to lighten my bank balance
by any amount I chose, whenever I thought the time was right.
He knew I was pretty much at the bottom end of his market, but he
couldn't have been nicer if I'd told him to load the GT onto a trailer.