Hi Tim
that Tokina sounds like a good solution, I'm looking forward to seeing the
results :-)

I will try bird photography again using the "crappy" Soligor M42 350mm 5.6
this time "in the field", the mirror lens is just too slow for animal
photography under most circumstances without the help of a massive flash. On
the other side I made some decent shots of landscapes with it.
Yesterday I went to the Zoo in Zurich to take some shots for future
prospects for my friend Gabriela at www.bestofswitzerlandtours.ch and her
Zurich and surrounding bus tour which includes a visit at the Zoo.

I carried the SFXn and the Pentax A 70-210mm zoom and a Braun TTL 38M flash
and the Tamron macro 90mm and
Pentax 50mm 1.7 (for fish/snake aquarium shots) and Pentax A 24mm on the ME
Super for some outside overview and people shots with me. For the aquariums
a tripod is really needed, the monopod was not sufficient for the speeds I
got with ISO 400 film and I could not use the slave flash from above. The
use of a polarizer helps for the window reflections but makes the light
situation even worse.
I will try that again but you really need more than one day for the Zoo and
I have to focus on one kind of "animal type" at the time. I carried too much
lenses for a 3 hours visit, my body and brain told me that in the evening
:-)
I did not use the macro lens at all but would have been glad for more reach
of about 400mm for the wolves, penguins, apes  and wildcats and some lovely
stork nest. 210mm was too short for real close up portraits. I made some
test shots a week before with the Pentax M 200mm + Ax2S extender but did not
like the results and the handling so I did not take it with me.

greetings
Markus