The new software does actually have some advances over the previous issues.
The new Photo Lab raw converter does have additional features hidden in the
View menu for more options, i.e. lens correction, noise reduction, CA and
vignetting, etc., functionallity seems to lay between the full Silkypix and
the free version.

The converted DNG is uncompressed so has no file size advantage over the
PEF's, however you can re-run the Adobe converter on the Pentax made DNG's
and losslesly compress them to save space.

If you convert ist D Raw files to DNG you do gain about 1MB in reduced file
size. You can then re-run them through the Adobe converter to get smaller
compressed DNG's. Why do this you may ask? Well, the colour profile you
achieve with the Pentax PEF -> DNG is much more accurate than Adobes native
default profile for Pentax PEF's and saves you having to create an accurate
profile with Greytag Macbeth charts etc for use in ACR which I had
previously done.

What is bizarre is that Pentax browser may be able to convert to DNG, but it
doesn't display them! How daft is that?

I still use Silkypix for my work however, as I find it produces the best
results I've found so far of any of the other converters and I've grown to
love the quirky old fashioned interface! It does have some very nice
features.

This is my first post, so please be kind to me! (But I have been lurking for
a considerable while!)

Hi Godders, hi Cotty!