I bracket quite often for DOF.  This means I shoot where I think the DOF
should be, and then I open up wider and stop down.  So I might make 3 or 4
shots.  Using DOF preview helps some, but sometimes one of the bracketed
shots is the best based.

OK, I was going to stay out of this thread, but now I gotta know.
Who has time to bracket or use DOF preview when shooting sports?
My experience here is limited to High School football and
basketball. Fast moving sports and I'm getting slow in my old age
so I can't see having that luxury. I'm happy if I can just avoid
being run over by the refs and / or players :)
Almost everything I shoot at these events involves auto focus and
flash. The auto focus is great, but even with a huge battery pack
no flash can keep up with a 4+ fps motordrive, so I have had to
learn timing to get my "shot". A lot like hunting varmints, don't
plan on the "pray and spray" technique to work, figure you got one
shot and make it count. If by chance you get another, consider
it gravy :) I have noticed too that after the summer off, my first
football game of the season is awkward until I get the rhythm back.
Is 4 rolls of 36x and a state playoff game considered "burning" film?
TTFN,
Robert