On Sep 24, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Vic Mortelmans wrote:

> ... Today I was at a public street community fair (kind of garage
> sail)
> taking some pictures. Again: not framing individual people, but just
> catching the environment. Since we live in a multi-cultural city, I
> happened to frame a sale stand where a family of muslim people was
> looking around. One of the women directly signaled me that she opposed
> to have a picture taken. ...

I operate on the basis of courtesy to the subjects.

- If I'm shooting on the street and people are not reacting to me as
I work, nothing to worry about. I just keep on working.

- If someone reacts, then a relationship between me and that person
has been developed. Often times these become excellent photo
opportunities. I might shoot some more, talk to the person, shoot
some more afterwards, whatever.

- If someone reacts negatively, I will smile and acquiesce to their
desires for privacy. This does not mean that I will stop working, it
means I operate under the tacit agreement that I will not photograph
that person specifically.

- If they're taking umbrage that I'm shooting in the situation at
all, and it is a public event, I politely tell them to go to hell and
point out that shooting in a public space is legal and legitimate
work for me. And continue working, while respecting the tacit
agreement that I will not photograph that person specifically.

---

I recall on one of the visits I made to SF with someone from the PDML
there was a woman with a rather flamboyant outfit sitting at the cafe
as we passed, talking with her daughter. I made a quiet exposure of
the scene and was moving on. Whomever I was with made a point of
catching her attention to ask if she would mind having a picture
taken. She refused. Which leaves the interesting moral dilemna ... I
have a perfectly good photograph of this woman and the scene which
she doesn't know was taken, and when approached she specifically did
not want her photo taken. Now, what should I do with the perfectly
good picture I have of her?

Godfrey