> From: "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/11/01 Wed PM 09:23:41 GMT
> To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: RE: Adults on bicycles
>
> That might work, Bob, if it were applied consistently in all other
> areas of activity, and if the wearing of cycle helmets could be shown
> conclusively to be effective.
>
> Neither of these conditions apply.
>
> For consistency all insurance and health care would have to be
> withdrawn from anybody who was negligent of their health in some way,
> for example by smoking, drinking, eating the wrong kind of food, not
> taking enough exercise, running with knives, etc. etc.
>
> And the final judgement is certainly not in yet on the effectiveness
> of cycle helmets, so one could not in any case argue that a cyclist
> without a helmet was neglecting his health in a way that could justify
> (if anything can) withholding or withdrawing medical treatment or
> insurance.
>
> Furthermore, it doesn't take into account who was at fault in an
> accident - something that could rarely be determined at the time of
> the accident. It is also wide open to mistakes. If someone's helmet
> were knocked off in an accident and not immediately visible to the
> paramedics, should they withhold treatment on the grounds that the
> rider was not wearing their helmet?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>  Bob

The other problem is the, in reality, very limited protection that helmets
provide.  If you hit your head against anything unyielding at more than about
20mph, you will die.  Helmets mitigate the effect but, apparently, only
slightly.  You can't get quality volunteers these days.  When it comes down to
it, luck seems to be the arbiter of how seriously you are injured in a
collision.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software