"Daniel J. Matyola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It is a war.  There are several nations that harbor, finance, train,
> and encourage these terrorists, and, as far as I am concerned, these
> nations are now at war with the United States.

It is war, and not just with the United States.  I, and those of my
colleagues and friends with whom I have discussed the matter, feel
that this vicious attack upon the United States is, in fact, an act of
war perpetrated against the entire civilized world.  We are not alone
in feeling this way: British prime minister Tony Blair said, in his
initial statement upon being informed of the tragedy, that it would
now be necessary for all democratic nations to stand united, in order
to "eradicate this evil completely from our world".  The German high
chancellor has since called the attack an act of war, and I was much
relieved, only minutes ago, to learn that NATO has just declared that
the attack against the United States is formally considered an attack
upon the entire NATO alliance, meeting the conditions of article 5 of
the NATO charter, which means that all our nations are obliged to
support the United States fully, in whatever way is needed, should the
United States enter into a military conflict with an external party.

We are, indeed, at war with the forces of terrorism, whether they be
represented by actual or would-be nation states.  It is time for all
the governments of the world to stand up and be counted, taking sides
for or against the forces of freedom, democracy and civilization.
There can be no neutrality -- that era ended yesterday, in what was
probably the most important single event in post-WW2 history.

My body may be on the other side of the world, but my heart is with
my American brothers and sisters.

-tih
--
Puritanism -- the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.