I agree that on is no longer rewarded or punished at the time of death for their lives. The word rendered spirit (pneuma) often refers to breath, as opposed to a soul that is distinct and apart from the body. It's interesting that 1) in Genesis 2:7 that God "formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man BECAME a living soul." He did not acquire a soul, one was not put inside him, he became one. And 2) the punishment for Adam was to 'return to the dust of the earth', no mention given as to an afterlife anywhere.

Psalm 146:4 states: "His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish."

In addition the concept of an immortal soul with a conciousness that survives the body and goes on to exist somewhere renders moot the concept of a resurrection back to life. If a person is still alive, after dying, no resurrection is required.

Tom C.

From: "Russell Kerstetter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Occupations?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:05:59 -0700

On 1/3/07, Tom C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The concept of Purgatory clearly contradicts Ecclesiastes 9:5, "For the
> living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are
> conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the
> remembrance of them has been forgotten."

but do not forget Ecclesiastes 12:6,7

6 Remember [your Creator]—before the silver cord is severed,
       or the golden bowl is broken;
       before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,
       or the wheel broken at the well,

 7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from,
       and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

I do not think that Ecc 9:5 means that there is nothing after death,
rather that after you die, you no longer are rewarded for what you did
in life.

Russ