----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WARNING: OT: Re: Points of Order

> In a message dated 11/18/01 4:08:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  did not write, but I am used to being
misquoted:

> > How hard is it really to spend a few
> > hours (or even
> > > an entire day if you have a huge collection) every 20-30
years
> > > transferring your data?  Doesn't sound too unreasonable to
me.

> Can we say: "affordability"? The gist of the "data transfer"
thread assumes
> (mightily), that tens of millions of folks are going to buy
the latest
> storage medium then transfer again every time the storage
medium changes.
> Businesses who have a vested interest in maintaining access to
their
> products, (music, radio, television, video and movies,
businesses) regularly
> and readily transfer property to new storage technology. Ted
Turner is the
> Guru of the genre, by now having copied and restored the
entire MGM movie
> library.
>
> Not so we consumers. There are tens of millions of 78rpm
records out there
> whose owners have not or do not think about transferring their
data. Ditto
> for 8-track tapes, 45rpm records, 8 and 16mm movies. Why?
> Transferring data is damned expense is one why. Nostalgia in
the guise of
> being or owning contemporary stuff costs like h*ll.
> Here we are on this list, most of whom still harbor the "boxes
under the bed"
> storage system. Why don't they (PDMLers), 100% of them,
knowing what they
> know, transfer their slide/negative/print data as per new
storage medium?
> Again, because the transfer is 1. Expense (priced a quality
DVD-R or RW
> machine lately)? 2. labor intensive 3. Time-consuming 4.
boring.

All that you are saying in your ever pendantic way, is that
about 40 years of photographic history from the advent of resin
coated paper is destined to survive less than about 100 years.
Whether this matters or not is moot. The box under the bed is
not sufficient for these materials. They self destruct all by
themselves in this situation.
Fortunately, the bulk of the pictures that will be lost don't
matter, even to the people who have taken them.
Unfortunately, the ones that do matter (such as Joe Sixpack and
the ever slutty Jane Whitewine's wedding pictures) fall into the
same category.
I have prints from my grandparents wedding, and my parents
wedding, but I won't be able to pass on pictures from my own
wedding (not that it matters), because they were printed on
1980's era RC papers, and are already discolouring.
William Robb