>From astronomy I can tell you some differences. If the chip is smaller but
the pixel count is the same the pixels are then smaller and often can yield
finer detail if the choice of lenses is done correctly.
That's why some people in the industry don't like the preoccupation with
pixel count instead of pixel size and dynamic range. Often a smaller, better
chip with less pixels can yield superior results over something larger.
Kent Gittings

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Pål Audun Jensen
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 3:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New Pentax digital SLR

Mark wrote:

>I think that full-frame CCDs and smaller ones may well coexist. Mike
Johnston
>recently mentioned professional wildlife photographers who don't want to
>"upgrade" to the latest Canon D30 because it's CCD yields "only" 1.3x focal
>length magnification. For most of us a full-frame CCD will be the best
>compromise,
>but for those who make a living with telephotos, the smaller CCD makes
sense
>as long as the pixel count is sufficient for the enlargements they need.

But isn't a smaller CCD equal to cropping with a larger CCD? As far as I
can see, there are no advantage whatsoever with the smaller chip since you
can always crop the image from a full size chip down to what would have
been produced by the same chip but smaller.

Pål

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com