Cotty wrote:

>PÂl wrote:
>
>>Although, I have some sympathy with those who want faster Pentax equipment
>>introductions, I fail to see the sense in wanting an utterly out of date
>>digital slr. Firstly, its generally assumed industrywise that the small
>>size chips are a dead end. Full frame chip is the way of the future.

I think that full-frame CCDs and smaller ones may well coexist. Mike Johnston
recently mentioned professional wildlife photographers who don't want to
"upgrade" to the latest Canon D30 because it's CCD yields "only" 1.3x focal
length magnification. For most of us a full-frame CCD will be the best compromise,
but for those who make a living with telephotos, the smaller CCD makes sense
as long as the pixel count is sufficient for the enlargements they need.

>Only in that it fits in very well with existing lens configurations,
>especially at the wide end. Of course it may well be that
>smaller-than-24X36 imaging sensors will become the norm - for whatever

>reason - and this is fine. It just means that lens makers will (and are)
>rethinking their wide-angle designs to take this into consideration.
>17-35s are currently good sellers, no?

Yes, but I love and *use* my 18-35 most at 18mm. I'd have to get a 12mm
with some digital SLRs (and if I had it I'd be constantly thinking "I wonder
what it'd look like at a *real* 12mm?!)

>>Secondly, the D30 (is it really successful?)
>
>certainly desirable, even if you do not personally see it as such...
>
>>will be laughed out of the
>>market within a year or simply given away.
>
>Disagree. Sure it will 'move down the pecking order' and as such become

>much more affordable to those who can't or won't justify the cost of
>owning such kit.

I also think that the D30 will be obsoleted quickly; It has neither the
wide angle advantage of a full-frame CCD nor the 1.6x focal length magnification
of smaller CCDs. Either of these makes sense to me and the D30 is neither
one nor the other; it's too much of a compromise to work, IMO.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com