> Mark wrote:
>

> >So you are right - it does not make sense to devote a lot of effort to
> >building a high end digital that will soon be obsolete.  However, given
> the
> >inevitability of digital, some articulation of a plan to adapt to the new
> >technology from Pentax would be wise.  Given that this company has been a
> >late adapter in other arenas, that it has been hurt by it's lack of
> >nimbleness, and that it just scrapped a major project that was designed
> >demonstrate its commitment to digital (the digital Mz-S) - some signal
> that
> >Pentax has a plan and intends to survive would be appreciated.  I think a
> >white paper or vision statement on its website could do it - without
> >compromising trade secrets or anything.

Pål answered:

> But isn't this exactly what Pentax have done? They have said that theres
> no
> point in releasing the MZ-D prototype as showed at Photokina because its
> essentially obsolete already. Hence, they will make a more competitive
> digital camera based on the same platform instead.
>

> Pål

I don't see how the MZ-D is already obsolete.  I thought it was a question
of pricing themselves into a market they did not want to be.  There seems to
be no reason why they would not address a full '35mm-format' size CCD in a
camera.  A comparable CCD size as is currently available in a Pentax would
put them into a competitive price market and then they could possibly go
high-end.  These are just my thoughts.

Something I cannot understand is how a digital camera becomes 'obsolete.'
The fact that I have a 3.1 megapixel digital camera still makes it a digital
camera that produces good images (still meeting my original useage
criteria) six years from now.  The fact that there may be 6, 7, or 10
megapixel cameras out there does not make my digital obsolete - just not top
of the line in terms of size.

I can understand obsolete in terms of parts or service support, but not in
the sense I keep seeing the term being used.

                                César Matamoros II
                                Panama City, Florida
                                in New York City