> Of course, there's no reason for you to switch if you've already *paid*
> for MS Office! ...until you start getting people sending you files in
> the *new* MS Office formats (Office 2007). Then you'll be faced with the
> choice of either trying Open Office for free or paying for Office 2007
> and suffering its awful user interface.

That exact thing happened to me in the first week Office 2007 went into use
(I have Office XP Professional 2002 on a home user license).  I went to
Office Update, found a patch and a few minutes later was reading the
"incompatible document".  For interest sake I just checked, and .docx is
also in the "save as" drop down list.  Pretty easy, really.

Regards, Anthony