Clay is mostly used on paintwork, but you can try Poorboys, Meguires or Sonnax. Poorboy's also makes something called "Bug Squash", made to remove bugs, but it will also remove tar, sand and road salt

mike wilson wrote:
From: John Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2008/11/10 Mon AM 04:06:41 GMT
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: OT: cleaning the windshield  so I can see the Blue Ridge Parkway

This actually comes from my getting out with my camera, and that's a Pentax, so it's not completely out of line I hope.

For the inside, a crumpled sheet of newspaper slightly dampened with vinegar.
Plus some elbow grease....

Clean, dry newspaper to finish.

For the outside, there is a process called "claying".  I have seen this
mentioned on various (UK) car forums but have been unable to unearth any information
other than the name.