I have never seen a MZ-S real life, but it would make sense to me the
writing is done during the film transport immediately after taking the
exposure. Waiting to print during rewind would require the storage of the
data in memory for all shots, and think about the additional hassle for mid
roll changes.
Printing during transport allows for a single row of LED's that need to be
fired in a sequential way. A single print would require a LED matrix which
would be a more costly approach I guess.

Frits Wüthrich