On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sandy, if you are considering buying Voigt 58 and Sigma 24, then I
> humbly suggest that you consider not buying a Pentax camera. It makes
> reduced amount of sense :-) to buy a camera and use it with 3rd party
> lenses. There are quite a few deficiencies in being an owner of Pentax
> system (you can throw all the rotten vegetables you want at me, I
> know) such as: 1. lack of support and/or services 2. lack of
> professional services, which to my understanding also includes ability
> to rent expensive cameras and lenses for short periods of time
> (something I'd love to do) 3. still unclear fate of FF body (again,
> this is debatable and depends on one's preferences) 4. generally
> weaker AF performance (yes, even K-7 is outgunned by its rivals),
> which again is either important or not, depending on your shooting
> style. However, in sooth, I am not trying to advocate you against
> Pentax, because 1. Pentax has excellent glass 2. Pentax has great
> value for money 3. Pentax is also about PDML 4. Pentax lenses are
> smallest in size yet boast highest optical quality.
>
> It is therefore my humble suggestion that you look for Pentax glass to
> mount on your Pentax camera. If you're willing to entertain the idea
> of DA 16-45/4, then I suggest that you simply add to this a good copy
> of FA 50/1.4 and shoot until you both got the money and also the good
> idea where to go next - wide angle, portraits, telephoto, etc.
>
> Just my cents.
>
> --
> Boris

Actually, I'd disagree here. There's really nothing else comparable to
the K-x on the market, it has a unique combination of size, features
and performance and that's the real draw there.

Pentax offers nothing truly comparable to the 58 Nokton, the FA 50/1.4
handles worse (particularly for manual focus, the Nokton has a large
and well damped focus ring) and has significant QC problems with
recent production and the DA* 55 is about twice the price of the
Nokton and both are shorter lenses in a range where smaller focal
length differences remain noticeable.

At the wide end Pentax is lacking any fast glass wider than 31mm.
While Pentax lenses are excellent, Pentax really has not provided a
full lens line unless your needs are small but slow primes and/or f2.8
zooms.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas