Thanks, Morris. This is fascinating analysis.

Here is my situation. I came as an engineer (think - Dilbert) along with the project manager (mid-to-high management, also non-native speaker, but probably more experienced in this specific kind of verbal kung-fu) and worked with both my parallels (system operator and IT person of the company we visited) and also lower-mid managers and some higher ranked boss whose true rank I fail to comprehend. My lame excuse was that in fact I was rather occupied all the time with the technical situation and simply said what I meant - that I suggest that in order to solve the problem they have they do this and don't do that. I indicated that they could do otherwise, but that we would advise them to stick to our suggestion as we think it is the optimal course of action at the moment. I specifically indicated that this was a temporary measure for the duration of their more important work. At then of this period (whose duration was given explicitly) they could return to their normal procedures.

As to what others suggested - due to my accent, it is rather difficult for me to both keep my speaking clear and understandable and also spice it with intonation and intent.

In fact, if AnnSan, Cotty, Bob W, Mike Wilson or Jostein would chime in here - it would be cool - they spoke to me in person. I also spoke on the phone with Rob, Bill Robb and Bob S.

Surely next time I will be more deliberate about my wording. At least I would try to use more neutral variations so as to at least remove any possibility of imperativeness when talking to customers. In principle I should lay in front of them a number of options and they should make their choice how to proceed.

It is good to be a PDMLer even if one's native language is not English :-).

Thanks a whole lot!

Boris