On 2010-02-01 08:10 , Morris Galloway wrote:
"I suggest" versus "Perhaps we could proceed...."
One American's analysis.

Among general professionals in the central U.S.

If Boris Liberman is in upper management speaking to those in middle
management, then "I suggest" would have 10% more of the Imperative.
Among peers it would be perceived as an option awaiting the opportunity
for other options to be presented.
If used by middle management to upper management it might be considered
brash or bold.

good points, and in addition to regional and status variations, i think your words' reception will vary within different corporate cultures and when written versus spoken in person versus telephoned ...

in my own small, informal workplace, and as a consultant, i use "i suggest" to signal: "please take my idea seriously, but i won't be disappointed if another idea is selected"; i use less direct language like "perhaps it would" when being more polite (generally with people i know less well), or to signal tentativeness; but such polite forms can also indicate frustration -- meanings can shift within the context of tone and rapport, which i'd expect to be even more important when people know English is not someone's first language

i tend to look at etymology when pondering such questions -- i see that the Latin roots of 'suggest' mean "bring from below"; in my eyes, this makes 'suggest' a good, humble term