> Thanks, Morris. This is fascinating analysis.
>
> Here is my situation. I came as an engineer (think - Dilbert)
> along with the project manager (mid-to-high management, also
> non-native speaker, but probably more experienced in this
> specific kind of verbal kung-fu) and worked with both my
> parallels (system operator and IT person of the company we
> visited) and also lower-mid managers and some higher ranked
> boss whose true rank I fail to comprehend. My lame excuse was
> that in fact I was rather occupied all the time with the
> technical situation and simply said what I meant - that I
> suggest that in order to solve the problem they have they do
> this and don't do that. I indicated that they could do
> otherwise, but that we would advise them to stick to our
> suggestion as we think it is the optimal course of action at
> the moment.
> I specifically indicated that this was a temporary measure
> for the duration of their more important work. At then of
> this period (whose duration was given explicitly) they could
> return to their normal procedures.
>
> As to what others suggested - due to my accent, it is rather
> difficult for me to both keep my speaking clear and
> understandable and also spice it with intonation and intent.
>
> In fact, if AnnSan, Cotty, Bob W, Mike Wilson or Jostein
> would chime in here - it would be cool - they spoke to me in
> person. I also spoke on the phone with Rob, Bill Robb and Bob S.
>
> Surely next time I will be more deliberate about my wording.
> At least I would try to use more neutral variations so as to
> at least remove any possibility of imperativeness when
> talking to customers. In principle I should lay in front of
> them a number of options and they should make their choice
> how to proceed.
>
> It is good to be a PDMLer even if one's native language is
> not English :-).
>
> Thanks a whole lot!
>
> Boris

Boris,

If you are there as a technical expert & advisor then it is your duty to
advise. "I suggest" is a good way of starting a piece of advice.

I have been, and often still am, in the position of giving technical advice.
If I think one option is better than the others then I have no hesitation in
suggesting it. So I might say "You can do W, X, Y or Z. K is distinctly
subprime. I suggest you do X until the fires have burnt themselves out, then
you'll have a bit of time to do Y"

If they then decide to do Z instead, or even W, then that is their
prerogative. But if it all goes Rs over Ts I have at least done my duty to
the best of my ability.

> It is good to be a PDMLer even if one's native language is
> not English :-).

It would be even better if we all spoke Mongolian.

Bob