Mark Roberts wrote:
Matthew Hunt wrote:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Mark Roberts <m...@robertstech.com> wrote:

But refusing to do business there based on a
sample-size of one other customer, about whom I know nothing, is
irrational.

One guy complaining on the Internet is one thing.

A high-level representative of the company insulting my intelligence
by claiming that 50%-off sales do not exist is another.

I believe he was asserting that 50% off sales for that product don't
exist. I haven't researched the matter for the product in question but
I can think of other products for which 50% off sales are unheard of.

Soooo... If you saw a world-class vendor advertising said article at 50% off, you would be on it in a flash. If the ensuing contract was then broken by the vendor, what would you do? To be clear: if the facts stated are true B&H broke UK law and would certainly be coming to the attention of Trading Standards officers in their location plus, almost certainly, suffering a civil suit for their breach of contract. AFAIKS, the company would not be able to defend its actions. I _think_ the only time defence has been successful is when the vendor can prove that the purchaser knew that completion of the contract would cause irrepairable harm to the vendor. Catching it _before_ the contract is made; fine. Breaking the contract is straightforward banditry.

Is US law so different?