On 2/4/2010 11:01 AM, Bob Sullivan wrote:
Bill,

You got me on the milk example.  I wouldn't pay them extra and would
stop shopping with them.  Does this mean I will stop shopping at B&H
because somebody complained?  Not until I see higher prices or
experience bad service.

On the Pareto rule (80/20), McD's gets 76% or their business from 26%
of the population who visit the stores once per week or more often.
Keeping these people happy and coming back is really important.  The
rest - not so much.

Vegans?  Not a very big part of the customer base.  Vegetarian food?
Not enough interest for McD's to offer it.  74% of the population
doesn't visit McD's in a week and your not interested in them?  You're
damned right!  (Nobody says this but if I was running the railroad...)
  The product and services offered do not appeal strongly to these
folks or fit into their lifestyles.  And offering products and
services that do is too damned expensive.  (I'm a dirty capitalist
stockholder now and insist McD's make a profit on it's enterprise.)

You can't be all things to all people.  Focus, focus, focus on the
part of the customer population that you can serve profitably.

(And I can see that I'll have to teach you about profit in a fast food
restaurant.  The meat sandwiches have the lowest profit margins and
the highest cost.  For drinks, the cup probably costs as much as the
liquid inside of it.  Great margins on drinks!  I enjoy going to
Burger King and buying a 99 cent double cheeseburger - just the
sandwich, no drink or fries.  It's my guerilla effort to help them go
out of business!)

Regards,  Bob S.

That's what I do at McD's. Not necessary to make them go out of business, but then my Cousin owns, (last I knew), 8 Burger Kings, (or rather the bank owns >50% of those stores, she runs them and takes a share of the profits), and I'd rather buy a loss leader from the competition, (plus McD's double cheese tastes more like a cheeseburger is /supposed/ to taste).