Facebook want's me to login to see the page.  I guess not.

On 3/13/2010 8:27 PM, Tanya Love wrote:
Bob W said:

And how did you get started in this business? As I recall it was in exactly
the same way.

Good point Bob, and my ego totally needed to be put back in it's place too
(it gets a bit too big for its boots sometimes!). So, I totally agree!

However, take a look at this:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50625&id=1022455271&ref=nf#!/album.php
?page=6&aid=161316&id=547536217

These were shot by a girl I know (in my home town), who is calling herself a
"professional" and who purchased her FIRST slr camera less than a year ago!
Grrrrrr.  They are FAR from professional!

I know how to use it AND I hate it. Anyone who thinks the mark of a
professional is knowing how to use artificial light knows nothing about
photography.

I totally agree!  The best shots I have done are the most uncontrived,
candid shots without invasive use of flash/strobes.  It takes special skill
to be able to "read" the light and know when natural light will make or
break the shot, and/or when flash is needed.

I hate using flash/strobes too, but I LOVE my ring flash!  That thing is my
new best friend and it is the way I have achieved some of my most favourite
shots lately, like this, which I shot yesterday:

http://www.lovebytes.com.au/pics/TaigheBorder.jpg

Anyways, IMO, the true measure of a being a great photographer (whether you
are pro or not!), is knowing how to use strobes/flash, and when NOT to use
it, or when TO use it.  I think THAT is the key.

Tan.x.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}