On Mar 13, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Tanya Love wrote:

Bob W said:

However, take a look at this:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50625&id=1022455271&ref=nf#!/ album.php
?page=6&aid=161316&id=547536217

These were shot by a girl I know (in my home town), who is calling herself a "professional" and who purchased her FIRST slr camera less than a year ago!
Grrrrrr.  They are FAR from professional!

The link isn't working.

I know how to use it AND I hate it. Anyone who thinks the mark of a
professional is knowing how to use artificial light knows nothing about
photography.

I totally agree!  The best shots I have done are the most uncontrived,
candid shots without invasive use of flash/strobes. It takes special skill to be able to "read" the light and know when natural light will make or
break the shot, and/or when flash is needed.

There is as much to learn about using strobes as there is about using a camera. Most of the photography I've done has been in situations where strobes aren't an option, so I worked at getting good at photographs without a strobe. Now, I really need to improve my skills with lighting. I've read light, science and magic twice, and am working my way through the strobist DVDs.

One of the reasons I dislike my 540 so much is that I seem to have to put more energy into outsmarting it than I do in where to aim it, and how to diffuse it. It may very well be the fault of the camera that the p-ttl metering isn't worth shite, but on average I get better results putting the flash on manual, and setting my f-stop by guaging the distance, taking a SCWAG at the exposure and occasionally chimping to double check. This is why I get so annoyed at the flash deciding that I really want p-ttl rather than whatever power I set it at.