On Apr 18, 2010, at 3:07 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> I appreciated the education about the Mâori names.
> I just can’t let stuff like that go by unnoticed. What with Google, I don’t
> have to anymore!  :-)

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm :)

Rimu is a native species of tree which is prized for furniture but you're not
allowed to cut it down anymore.  Rimu is now either imported or recycled from
old furniture & buildings so our trees can stay in the forests where they
belong (just like Kauri which is even more valuable).

Oamaru stone is a limestone named after the location where it's found.  Oamaru
is a town just north of Dunedin.  The famous Moeraki Boulders are also in that
area.  I could look up the meanings of these place names but I'm too lazy ;)

Cheers,
Dave