2010/4/18 David Mann <dm...@bluemoon.net.nz>:

> I've always been curious about Stax but I don't like the idea of having
> what's essentially an AF radio transmitter on each side of my head.

I like their sound a lot, it is crisp, clean, precisely modulated but
not to the point of being unforgiving. They are a nice contrast to my
Consequence Audio Olivia / Images loudspeakers (D'Appolito design,
SEAS chassis) which are built completely with classical and jazz in
mind and sound warmer and more vibrant. To be honest, I've thus far
ignored the technology of the headphones. I traded an old Kenwood
KT-880 tuner for them when the content qualitative decline of my
preferred radio stations really took hold and my BeyerDynamic
headphones began to disintegrate (the softener in the earshells turned
them into crackly, sticky goo plus the left ear cable had cracked.

I listen to more radio again now but it is different styles of music
these days. Around here you get two half decent jazz stations, one
informed classical, one multicultural/alternative and all the rest is
either news or heavy rotation elevator / charts pop / oldie but gooey
/ whatnot. In fact the leading local pop station Radio Hamburg calls a
listener panel with every prospective new track (nothing that's never
been Top 10 either), they never replace more than 30 and never play
more than 180 tracks in any given month. And their jingle is "More
diverstiy" - can you believe that?

Cheers
Ecke