On Apr 17, 2010, at 9:02 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

> Interesting project Dave, nicely executed. I have headphones all over
> the place at the moment, mine and lots to fix, it's amazing how
> quickly they break in a studio environment. I'm interesting in the
> design/topology of the amp too.

I really do not want to break these phones.  They cost a king's ransom and I
was only able to afford them because a stuff-up at my employer caused me to be
underpaid for a few months after I started working more hours.  Even then I
took a while to make up my mind.  Pretty much my entire back-pay went on them.

If it wasn't for that I would have probably "settled" for a Sennheiser HD650.
A nice fellow from a local hi-fi forum had both of these models and allowed me
to borrow each for about a week.  I really seriously liked the Sennheiser but I
~loved~ the Grado.

They do take a while to break-in though.  Out of the box they sound very harsh.
 I don't think they're quite there yet but they're a lot better than they were
when new.

See my other reply about the amplifier...

Cheers,
Dave