Let me offer a contrarian view. Not directly aimed at Rob but at the tenor of
the thread thus far.

I don't shoot images with sensors; rather, I use a camera system that includes
a sensor. By the same token, I didn't mess too much with alternate film types
back when I was taking photographs. Whatever (film or sensor) is in the camera,
I'll try and figure out how to use it as best I can and not worry about it.
When you get to certain specialized functions (low-light dance clubs or
concerts for example), and/or if your income depends on being able to produce
an image that is just exactly according to someone's vision (e.g., Velvia vs.
Kodachrome), then the extra attention to the underlying details is appropriate.
But for me and I suspect most of us, just give me a camera that doesn't get in
my way, and I will follow my own drummer, try and shot images that come close
to my own vision.

Rather than Korean vs. Japanese vs. Rochesterian sourcing and the attendant
foibles of different sensors, I am far more concerned that Pentax employ really
top-notch system designers and graphic processing programmers whose code
quickly extracts good unbiased data from whatever sensor the production
managers have chosen to use.

stan