Normally John I would agree. But these incidents (no one was actually hit by
the way, just close calls) occurred because soldiers weren't using crossing
areas, and the road section was poorly lit. As you know the Army recognizes the
need to be visible for traffic safety and requires reflective clothing for
runners, cyclists, and motorcyclists. And then we have guys in camo wandering
across the road, ignoring oncoming traffic whose drivers can't possibly see
them. Obviously the problem really wasn't the clothing but rather the lack of
situation awareness on the part of the pedestrians. In a related pet peeve of
mine, I intensely dislike drivers of greyish vehicles who drive in rain or dim
light conditions without headlights turned on. Yes, they can see the road well
enough without their lights, but others can't see them.

stan