From: frank theriault
Or more specifically the sensor in my *istD.

Is this a do-at-home project or something best left to professionals?

If I can do it myself, how?

If I take it to a shop, what's a reasonable price?

My personal choice is to leave it to the professional. I'm afraid I'd be a little ham-handed and could end up spending a LOT more for repairs.

If you're going to attempt it yourself, start here:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

Forty to fifty dollars USD is not unreasonable IF the shop does a good job. I had it done once a year.

The problem is finding a shop that DOES do a good job. I wouldn't trust most chain stores (like Wolf/Ritz).

Nikon/Canon offered cleanings at $40 per at the CNPA (Carolinas Nature Photography Association) annual convention, and they would take all comers, Nikon/Canon or not ... up until this year when Nikon dropped out and the Canon rep would only do Canon.

Don't know yet who I'm going to go to now.