On 5/16/2010 7:49 PM, William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault"
Subject: Cleaning Sensors

Or more specifically the sensor in my *istD.

Is this a do-at-home project or something best left to professionals?

If I can do it myself, how?

If I take it to a shop, what's a reasonable price?

Thanks!

This make people cringe, but I lock the mirror up and shoot the sensor with canned gas.
It seems to work, and I haven't hurt anything yet.
I mentioned this on ForumsNeurotica and got soundly thrashed for recommending a cleaning method that would surely wreck the camera, so I challenged the good people there to come up with one single instance where they could verify canned gas wrecking a camera. The closest I got was a guy who met a guy coming out of a camera store who had apparently done some damage to his camera while cleaning it, but it wasn't really verifiable that the canned gas was the culprit...

William Robb

I do the same thing. Buy a good quality brand and there's no problems. I did have a bargain price product that spit liquid propellant, which would probably craze the low pass filter, but I'd never use that on anything sensitive.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}