On May 20, 2010, at 14:44, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Tom C wrote:
>> I have to differ a bit with you on this Bill.  Mostly agree. There are
>> customers who set out to rip off retailers. Those who purchase an item
>> for the time they need to use it and then return it, for example.
>> It was not Steve it was Christian with the G11, according to the way I read.
>> :-)
>> IMO, there was no dishonesty involved.
>
> Excuse me Sir, that’s pure bull excrement...there certainly WAS dishonesty
> involved.
> When the defunct camera owner said, “It just quit operating” or words to that
> effect, that was an out and out lie. The implication was, “Gee, “It was the
> camera’s fault or was some other unknown circumstance.“
> That is a bald-faced fabrication. The causative agent was the camera owner
> who spilled something liquid on it. It was HE that caused the camera to short
> out or otherwise fail to operate normally. He did know why it wasn’t working.
> It was a clear case of cause and effect.
> Those sure seem to be the facts. Why all this denial, and why is everybody
> standing up for the perpetrator?

I have to agree with Keith on this one.  The exchange without saying WHY the
camera stopped working (ie, the customer soaked it in a drink) was dishonest.

All this talk about BBuy "deserving" it, or Canon "counting on a certain
percentage of returns" is masking the issue that the replacement was received
through fraudulent means (ie, looking up in the air, whistling innocently and
just saying "it doesn't work").

The "oh, they're big and they can afford it" defense is equivalent to
justifying shoplifting.  "They won't miss this one jacket if I just take it
with me".

At this point I'll borrow eckinator's disclaimer:

"Disclaimer: the preceding text is written mind in glasshouse, the author
has made mistakes and wronged people and doesn't see himself above
anyone but is trying to point out a standard that should be considered
desirable by everyone imvho =)"

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com