As Christian pointed out some companies do have a very lenient return
policy.  Does the fact that the owner didn't say it was spilled upon
make him dishonest? I don't think so. Was the customer service clerk
happy to give him a new camera, without the need for an explanation?
Yes he was.  I don't see the problem here.

I don't see how this is very different from a situation where I buy a
camera, use it for two weeks and then decide I don't like it, or
discover a model I like better.  If that happened I would bring the
camera back to the store, tell them I didn't like it and get a full
refund. The store would be left holding a camera that they can no
longer sell as new and will take a hit as they'll likely resell it as
a used/opened item at a discount. In fact that scenario is actually
worse for the retailer.  In the first scenario, retailer gets a full
credit from vendor or mfr.  In the second, they absorb the cost.

In both cases they are willing to do so in the name of customer service.

I'm not advocating, what you mention Bill, where people return an 11ft
board, or all their old deck lumber, or pieces of a product that they
used to assemble a whole.  That's fairly ridiculous and I can't really
fathom why any business would allow that kind of return.

But if the retailer makes the rules, and I abide by those rules
(notice the rules do not require an explanation of why the item is not
working), then I don't see a problem.

What I see happening here is that there's an idea being expressed that
an individual has to own up to each and every mistake they make,
otherwise they're dishonest and not trustworthy.  Is that reality for
any one of us?

Let's say there's a police officer sitting at an intersection and you
run the red light, but he's looking down and doesn't see you. Do you
stop and turn around and say "Please Mr. Police Officer, I ran a red
light, write me a ticket?"  By all rights you should get a ticket and
those funds go to supporting the community infrastructure, but since
you escaped notice now there is not as much money in the till.