Having followed this thread, and being a father of 4, I have to say
this would be a poor way to teach my children to behave.  What goes
around comes around - teach them to abuse the system and where will
they be in the future.  Seems to smack of the entitlement attitude so
prevalent in our society.

Whether you can justify the dishonesty by passing the buck on to
others than yourself, it is still a character issue.  Would you want
to be treated this way?  Would you want your loved ones to behave
this way?  I would hope not.

If they had asked what happened, would you have told them the truth?
And if you did, would you expect a refund?  And if you wouldn't have
expected a refund, why would you attempt to return it?  Seems you
would be going expecting to abuse the system, because you knew you
could.  Is this morally right?  The very fact that justifications are
needed to feel 'good' about it is telling.

--
Bruce